We have so much to be thankful for! Kidz Creek is excited to help your family develop a heart of thankfulness – while you share what God has given you with children in crisis areas around the world through the simple gift of a shoebox. Operation Christmas Child uses a shoebox filled with small gifts to demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to needy children around the world.
Before packing you family’s shoebox(es) lead your family in a discussion with these age appropriate questions about having a “Thankful Heart”.
- What are you thankful for?
- Do you know who gives us all those things? God! And we should thank Him.
- Lead your preschooler in saying a simple prayer like this “Thank You, God for puppy dogs!”
- What does it mean to have a “thankful attitude”?
- What if everything you have (toys, TV, clothes) was gone tomorrow? Would you still have anything to be thankful for?
- On a scale of 1-10, how thankful do you think we are as a family?
- Why is it important that we’re a family that gives to others?
- How do you think that giving to other people shows God we’re thankful to Him?
How to Pack a Shoebox:
Step 1 – Shoebox:
Use an empty shoebox (standard size, please) or a small plastic container. You can wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required. Most importantly, pray for the child who will receive your gift.
Step 2 – Boy or Girl:
Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Go HERE to print out the appropriate boy/girl label. Mark the correct age category on the label, and tape the label to the top of your box.
Step 3 – Fill with Gifts:
Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child. Visit Samaritan’s Purse for a list of gift suggestions and complete directions on how to pack a shoebox.
Step 4 – Include $7 Donation:
Please donate $7 or more for each shoebox you prepare to help cover shipping and other project costs. You can give online by using our “Follow Your Box Donation” option, or you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the gift items inside your box. If you or your family are preparing more than one shoe box, please make one combined donation.
Step 5 – Drop off:
Place a rubber band around each closed shoe box and drop off at your campus on November 13th.